Tuesday, October 4, 2016

How to Get these Jobs



Caveat: I have dealt with nearly all of these recruiters in my time here. Frankly, most of them are rather useless although I did get my first job at a large financial services company through one of them. The key is to find a niche or a specific job description where your skills fit in, either roughly or very specific. I will explain what I mean. These recruiters are tasked with finding bilingual English-Japanese speakers for their clients. Given that many Japanese are very poor in English speaking, some companies will be more lenient with foreigners who have limited Japanese skills yet have a strong background and matching skills for the position. Modifying and targeting your resume by emphasizing your financial analysis skills or your years of legal experience, and mitigating the weakness of your Japanese skills (if that is the case) by showing a determination to learn and apply what you have learned helps a long way to securing an interview. I have had interviews done completely in Japanese, even with my limited skills at the time, as I had shown an interest in learning Japanese, improved my reading and speaking skills to the point where I could read newspaper articles and have full conversations without any hestiation

 

Job sites: Careercross, Daijob, Glassdoor, Nikkei Career, Tenshoku En World, Linkedin, Career Engine, Gaijinpot, Twitter: search by “Tokyo Jobs”, jp.linkedin.com, search by “ネイティブ英語

Michael Page Japan

Michael Page Japan is another basic, run-of-the-mill, terrible recruiting company. From their website, they are a British company with about...